samba-tool

Stéphane PURNELLE stephane.purnelle at corman.be
Fri Oct 4 02:47:35 MDT 2013

1) You says : " if you use samba-tool,
> you have to supply the uidNumber, ADUC also adds the following
attributes:
> uid, msSFU30Name, msSFU30NisDomain, uidNumber, gidNumber,
> unixHomeDirectory, loginShell, unixUserPassword"

But is not correct, if you use samba-tool, you CAN supply some
supplemental information like :
uidNumber, gidNumber, unixHomeDirectory, loginShell, ...

if you do:
$ samba-tool user create rowland
Samba will do same thing that ADUC.

All  parameter in samba-tool are optional.

2) Let administrator to have possibility to manage uidNumber and gidNumber
outside AD part.
My story is a upgrade from samba3
My samba3 config is samba + ldap.
I use samba-ldap-tools for adding user and group.

All user and group xidNumber is supplyed by config in ldap tree and
actullay start from 1000 -> xxxx
samba4 start at 3000000, I don't know why... I cannot change this.

My solution : create counter file for uidNumber and gidNumber and I supply
xidNumber when I create a user or a group by samba-tool.
And I will not use ADUC for creation (just for manage member of group).

3) The only thing that I can suggest to samba team is adding some
parameters ("add user script and add group scrit) to smb.conf
And if user or group is created by ADUC, samba call theses scripts for
adding data on user or group like posixAccount and posixGroup or other
think.

And add some function to samba-tool for permit to set data for user or
group
Example: $ samba-tool user setParameter stephane --uidNumber=8963

-----------------------------------
Stéphane PURNELLE                         Admin. Systèmes et Réseaux
Service Informatique       Corman S.A.           Tel : 00 32 (0)87/342467

samba-technical-bounces at lists.samba.org wrote on 03/10/2013 21:59:29:

> De : Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com>
> A : Lukasz Zalewski <lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk>,
> Cc : Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org>, samba-technical <samba-
> technical at lists.samba.org>
> Date : 03/10/2013 21:59
> Objet : Re: samba-tool
> Envoyé par : samba-technical-bounces at lists.samba.org
>
> On 03/10/13 20:36, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:

> >> Hi Jelmer, If you create a user in ADUC and add the Unix attributes,
> >> this is done totally differently to the way that samba-tool does it.
For
> >> instance,  '--uid-number' requires that you give a 'uidNumber' but
ADUC
> >> (provided AD is setup correctly) supplies it automatically,
samba-tool
> >> also doesn't add all the attributes that ADUC does.
> >>
> >> Rowland
> >
> > Hi Rowland,
> > Indeed only portion of the attributes are configurable via samba-tool.
> > Are there particular attributes you are interested in?

> Hi, what I am trying to get across is, for adding a unix user,
> samba-tool does not work in the same way as ADUC does.
>
> If you have the attribute 'msSFU30MaxUidNumber' in

'CN=example,CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=example,DC=com'