Folder can be renamed with an open file inside the same folder from different client

Fri Oct 4 02:32:24 MDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 12:49:40PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 10:09:21AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >
> > Do we know what Windows does in all cases here?
> >
> > For example, if you have a path A\B\C\D which are all folders,
> > including D, and in D you have files F1, F2, ...
> >
> > If you have F1 open, we know that you should not be able to rename D,
> > but does Windows allow you to rename C or does it disallow renames all
> > the way up the tree?
>
> I think it disallows all the way up the tree, but I'd
> need to write a torture test to be sure.

If you look at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff469527.aspx and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff469288.aspx then
you get the impression that NTFS enumerates all open files
to check whether there is anything open below a directory to
be renamed. Probably pretty expensive on a busy fileserver.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de