Reasoning for auth_samba4.c

Fri Nov 29 10:20:26 MST 2013

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 06:04:56AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 10:01 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > Hi, Andrew!
>
> > In the past I've put
> > quite significant effort to get rid of procid_self. I would
> > like to completely remove this and always go via
> > messaging_server_id. Via new_server_id_task we acquired a
> > new call to procid_self, which is a new stumbling block for
> > removal of that routine. So I would like to know about the
> > reasons why this is strictly necessary in the current setup.
>
> It provides a deterministic client-side address for the imessaging
> library to use, rather than the previous approach of selecting a random
> number.

True. But this does not really answer my question: If we did
this via a NETLOGON call over a unix domain socket, wouldn't
that also work? For that we also have very elaborate
infrastructure available and don't need imessaging in this
place.

The question was -- what does the gensec call via imessaging
gain us in this particular place? Don't get me wrong, I
kindof got over my objections against gensec. It might have
its place, and we will use it more and more. It's the
particular use of it in auth_samba4 that I would like to
understand the reasoning for.

Thanks,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de