patch to add "winbind domain before username" parameter, and bugfix for handing of template homedir

Thu Nov 21 01:18:44 MST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 04:44:42PM -0500, rick at microway.com wrote:
> Using samba4, I have now had a problem where the usernames pulled from
> winbind all had the domain name prepended to them.  I found a bug report
> from a couple years ago of someone complaining of the opposite, and the
> code was changed at that time to prepend "DOMAIN\user" instead of just
> "user".
>
> I have made a patch now to add the smb.conf global parameter:
> "winbind domain before username".  I have it defaulting to true to preserve
> the current behavior, but if you set it to false/no you will get just the
> regular username from both wb_cmd_getpwnam.c and wb_cmd_getpwuid.c

As Andrew pointed out correctly, this is broken for
multi-domain scenarios. What is your take on this? You will
get conflicting user names, "Administrator" is not uniqe
across domains. If "getent passwd 1000" and "getent passwd
100000" both give back "Administrator" instead of
"DOMA\Administrator" and "DOMB\Administrator", I would guess
this will lead to problems. Do you have plans to take care
of this somehow? "winbind use default domain" is also
toublesome for us, because there are potential conflicts
with /etc/passwd users.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de