The Wrapper Project

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 20 11:42:50 MST 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 01:23:33PM -0500, Simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 19:09 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >
> > This is all code that originally comes from the Samba codebase.  That's also
> > not how the original e-mail frames it. It suggests removing this code from
> > the samba source tree and relying on the external copies.
>
> Yes to reply to you and Adam at the same time.
> Yes the code that originated Andreas projects came from Samba.
> Andreas ran away with to try and see if it could be greatly improved.
>
> For a lot of time it was just hacking around to see if it would work.
>
> Some times that approach works better, and I am certain in this case
> did, because it would have been unacceptable to the samba community to
> break "make test" to do experiments.
>
> Besides Andreas goal was also to make this code stand on its own, and
> that's certainly easier if you develop it on its own.
>
> I really do not see why this is a big deal to be honest. Why does it
> make any difference how the code was built ?
>
> What difference does it make if you get a review request of 200 patches
> that basically reworks completely most of the code or a request to
> review something of equal size with a git tree somewhere else ?
>
> Sound like you are offended that some code was done on someone's own
> without your knowledge, is that the problem ?

Now, now - please don't impugn the motivations of a fellow developer.
That way lies uncivilized discourse, which we of course *never* suffer
from here :-).

I'm very grateful to Andreas to making the code stand on its own
as a separate project and spending the time to improve it.

It's true it was originally from the Samba codebase, and that
usually gives the original developers some input into what should
be done with it (unless it's a hostile fork, which I don't think
is the case here).

I can see the merits of both approaches - but IMHO the thing
that matters the most is the opinion of person doing the work, as nothing
gets done without that :-).

So long as the code gets reviewed :-), I'm happy with whatever
Andreas decides upon as he is the person taking this upon himself
to improve.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.