How to change Samba authentication route?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 15 12:56:46 MST 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 01:32 +0900, Xia Xiongjun wrote:
> Dear samba-technical members:
>
> Thanks for your great work, We have such a splendid Samba to smooth our
> work and life so much.
>
> These days I want to develop a project(*2) which authentication route is
> not the same with current Samba.(*1)
>
> The image with (*1) and (*2) is attached.
>
> I wander if it is possible or hard to implement this?

It is possible, but quite difficult.  In general we don't recommend it.

What is your external application, and could you instead have it
authenticate against an LDAP server that is also Samba's authentication
store?  You could keep the different password types in sync with the
smbk5pwd module on OpenLDAP and the 'ldap passwd sync' option in the
smb.conf.

While we do have pluggable passdb and auth modules, we don't suggest
developing new ones, because the interface is quite broad, and it
creates quite a high maintenance burden as we upgrade it.  But it is
possible.