How to better and more accurate analysis of samba source codes

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Thu Nov 14 20:01:31 MST 2013

Some thoughts for people studying Samba:

1. Use code browsing technology of some form.  (I use GNU Global + vim
right now.  I've used OpenGrok in the past, and will again.)  The ability
to easily jump around the code, and ask "what does that function do" is
critical.  Also to ask "What calls this function."
2. Study the system live, running the way you want.  Use tools like
systemtap, ktap, and dtrace (I've written a presentation on the latter,
that I gave at SambaXP.) to gain insight into what files are being opened,
what is the call stack when it happens?  What about reads/writes?  Etc...

Good luck in your search,

-Ira