[Announce] CTDB 2.5 available for download

Orlando Richards orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 02:24:04 MST 2013

On 06/11/13 22:36, Martin Schwenke wrote:
> Hi Orlando,
>
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:41:47 +0000 (GMT), orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk
> wrote:
>
>> This is looking great! Is there any "stable" recommended version of CTDB
>> to use (I'm running samba 4.0.10 just now), or should I just use the
>> "latest" (2.5 now).
>
> That's a tricky question to answer:
>
> * There are a lot of bug fixes in CTDB 2.5 that aren't available
>    elsewhere.  Most of the work has been bug fixes, performance
>    improvements and code cleanups. I can't think of many cases where
>    we're doing really new development, so we shouldn't be introducing
>    instability. We also run the CTDB master branch (and some of our
>    development branches) through the CTDB test suite every night, using
>    virtual clusters.  We are definitely serious about quality.
>
> * That said, we have had some regressions in the 2.x series. Those
>    that we know about have obviously been fixed.  It also isn't yet clear
>    that CTDB 2.x is as widely used in production as other branches.
>
> So there's a balance between getting the latest goodness and the latest
> bugs.  ;-)

Thanks Martin,

Given that there's still active development in the 1.2 branch, that
seems to me to be the "safest" place to be just now.

Thanks again!
Orlando

    Dr Orlando Richards
   Information Services
IT Infrastructure Division
        Unix Section
     Tel: 0131 650 4994
   skype: orlando.richards

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.