smbcacls support for automatic inheritance propagation

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 6 15:03:14 MST 2013

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 06:10:30PM +0000, Noel Power wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Like it says in the subject I'm attempting to add some support for
> automatic inheritance propagation to smbcacls. I have a WIP patch
> (attached). But I also have some questions and uncertainties about the
> implementation that would be great to get some advice and clarification
> about. Firstly I will describe basically what the current incarnation of
> the patch does and then I will outline some of the issues that I would
> love to get clarification on.

Wow, this looks like a really nice piece of work - thanks !

I don't have time right now to do a full review, but as soon
as I have a little more free time I'd be happy to work though
getting this into the tree with you.

To quickly comment on your concerns, smbcacls I think can
already set ACLs that the Windows ACL editor doesn't like,
but having said that we should try as hard as possible to
warn the user if they're doing something stupid. That doesn't
mean we have to stop them though, if it's really something
they want to do :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.