smb2_validate_message_id log message

Brian Martin samba-ml1 at martinconsulting.com
Tue Nov 5 12:43:38 MST 2013

[snip]

>>    I occasionally receive messages like the following errors in
>> my syslog:
>>
>> smbd[2612]: [2013/10/30 14:06:25.368202,  0]
>> ../source3/smbd/smb2_server.c:667(smb2_validate_message_id)
>> smbd[2612]:   smb2_validate_message_id: client used more credits than
>> granted, mid 8, charge 1, credits_granted 0, seqnum low/range: 8/0
>>
>> [snip]
> This should not happen... Which client generates this?
>
> Can you file a bug at
> https://bugzilla.samba.org/ and upload a level 10 log
> and a network capture.
>
> See https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets
> and https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Client_specific_Log
>
> Thanks!
> metze

Will do.  Further research shows that the client was not a domain
member, though most of our clients haven't been migrated yet and aren't
having this problem.  It'll take some time to capture the diagnostic
information since it doesn't happen more than a couple of times/week.
In order to reduce the number of packets captured, will a trace to ports
139 and 445 be adequate?

Thanks for your support.

           -Brian