umask(0) in all binaries

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Nov 5 11:25:59 MST 2013

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 08:55:57AM -0700, Christof Schmitt wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 04:54:31PM -0700, Christof Schmitt wrote:

> > > Yes, I would support that change.
> >
> > Ok, here is my attempt on making that change. The first patch ensures
> > that the directories are only created during daemon startup, and the
> > second one adds checks against NULL pointers in codepaths that can be
> > reached from utility code.
>
> There is at least one case where the directories are needed before a
> daemon starts: net ads join is run before starting any daemons, and it
> tries to look up DC information from the gencache. I can try to change

Ah. Then the net ads join needs to be added to the list of
programs that create the directories (but only if euid == 0)
I think.

> the code that it returns NOT_FOUND without the cache directory. The
> question is if that is worth the effort, or if our code should expect
> that all required directories already exist, e.g. from the package
> installation.

If we required install to create all the directories we could
remove all the create code from the xx_path code. Not everyone
installs from a package (although I'll grant you most people do :-)
so I think we just need to determine which programs need to
do the create and limit the creation code to them.

Jeremy.