Why SMB2 need asynchronous architecture ?

Fri May 31 02:24:49 MDT 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:57:59PM +0000, Jim wrote:

> Start from samba-3.6, SMB2 use asynchronous architecture.
>
> I don't understand why it benefits the performance of network application in
> Windows 7,  and what kinds of network application can be benefited ?
>
> In my testing in windows7, SMB2 performance is worse than SMB1. (Test with
> explorer and robocopy)

In theory, SMB2 has larger packets and less requests,
leading to higher performance. We have seen reports that
SMB2 is slower because by default signing is being used in
SMB2 and not in SMB1. Can you check that?

If that is not the case for you, we need to see why you are
seeing worse performance with SMB2.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de