Samba 4 homes and Profile directory creation and permission issues.

"David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]" info at dghvoip.com
Thu May 30 05:54:30 MDT 2013

Hi List,

I've been using S4 for some time now and I'm deploying it on our
company, I'm using it as backend auth for many of our services,
OpenVPN*AS, GroupOffice, Openfire and some others and it works like a charm.

Now I want to tell you what I'm facing, I have a Win7 running the AD
admin. too and I can see everything users, groups all, I've created a
dozen users and I want them to have a home directory but when I try to
do that from the admin control tools and on the profile tab I input
\\10.10.10.5\Users\%username% and I see no errors and the weirdest thing
si thatwhen I browse the Users share on the server I see the directory,
can write to it, create directories, files etc; but the directory is not
created on the physical server which has my head spinning, might this be
a bug, or something I'm doing wrong.

Samba Version
Version 4.1.0pre1-GIT-1a7bd5e

Linux Version
root at samba:~# uname -a
Linux samba 3.5.0-30-generic #51~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 15 08:48:19
UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Everything was done as per the Samba4 wiki, sorry if this has been
answered before and if you can please refer me to the proper thread so I
can see if I can solve the issue.

Here's my smb.conf

root at samba:~# cat /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = MUNDO
         realm = mundo.local
         netbios name = SAMBA
         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
         template shell  = /bin/bash
#       template homedir = /home/%ACCOUNTNAME%

         dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr,
netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser,
eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc

         # Debug logging information
         log level       = 4
         log file        = /var/log/samba.log
         max log size    = 50
         debug timestamp = yes
         bind interfaces only = yes
         interfaces      = eth1
         wins support    = yes

[homes]
#       directory_mode: parameter = 0700
         path            = /home
#       path            = /data/users
         comment         = Users Home Share
         read only       = no
         browsable       = yes

[profiles]
         path            = /usr/local/samba/var/profiles
         browseable      = no
         read only       = no
         writable        = yes
         store dos attributes = Yes
         directory mask  = 0700
         create mask     = 0600
         printable       = no
         profile acls    = yes
         csc policy      = disable

[netlogon]
         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/paymundo.local/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         read only = No

It's clearly a permission issue and I'm also using winbind for auth as
per this link:

On 5/28/2013 4:44 PM, Ricky Nance wrote:
> First think you should check is to see if winbind is setup properly
> (resolving names in Ubuntu as it should be) if not, have a look at
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind#Using_libnss_winbind (section
> 2 is the important one, section 3 is if you need *nix to authenticate
> using samba).

I get this error and it looks like it's the directory mod which I
changed to 0755 restarted but no luck.

/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Skipping user change - already user
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: check_reduced_name [mark] [/home]
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: check_reduced_name: mark reduced to /home/mark
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: unix_mode(mark) returning 0755
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: push_sec_ctx(3000022, 100) :
sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 1
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: push_conn_ctx(1806056096) :
conn_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 1
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: pop_sec_ctx (3000022, 100) -
sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: unix_mode(.) returning 0755
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: unix_mode(.) returning 0644
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: open_directory: unable to create mark. Error
was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I guess I must give the directory other permissions chown <something>
and chown <something>

Thanks for a great project.

Cheers
-- David