[PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Mon May 27 00:51:24 MDT 2013

On 2013-05-27 08:27, Volker Lendecke wrote:

Hi folks,

> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:43:56AM +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>>> The first two are certainly the most annoying ones, but
>>> probably the two that are hardest to fix. If Tridge failed
>>> to fix something (startup time), this is my very definition
>>> of "unfixable". So I can only ask everybody to keep the old
>>> build system around.
>> That's not a very constructive approach...
>
> Right, but if the main proponent, himself being Andrew
> Tridgell, one of the most intelligent people I know, fails
> to solve an issue, I know the mere mortals won't have a
> chance. If Tridge fails, I know this is way beyond my
> intellectual capabilities.

Trying to remember what Tridge and I were going for when we were working
on the s3-waf build, I would say a lot of the decisions we made were
mostly aimed at making the transition from make to waf easier for people
used to the autoconf build.

Looking back, I think most of the "Oh, if we do it that way, it'll be
easier on people" decisions came back to haunt us somehow. Our attempt
to emulate the huge monolithic Makefile instead of splitting up
wscript_build files per subsystem is the one that most annoyed me, but
there's probably many others I've managed to forget about.

One thing I don't remember looking at is "how fast does it build",
because we frankly didn't care. It's no use focusing on speed if you
can't get it to build in the first place.

Not trying to fix a problem we could only start to care about after the
build system was operational doesn't equal not being able to fix it. If
I apply your "tridge didn't do it" logic in a more general pattern, why
do we have Samba the way it is now? Obviously the first version tridge
released didn't do a lot of the things we're doing now. But because
tridge didn't write those featuresm, they should have been impossible.
So how come "mere mortals" managed to write those features?

This reductio ad absurdum is just what Jelmer was criticising, and it's
not helpful in my opinion either. Identifying the specific issues you
were seeing was helpful, on the other hand. I think getting rid of the
build groups and thus making the build faster has been a positive
outcome of this discussion already.

Cheers,
Kai

--