[PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 26 04:14:52 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:24 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 12:00:14PM +0200, David Disseldorp wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 May 2013 19:08:06 +1000
> > Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not going to say that waf is perfect - it certainly isn't, but for
> > > Samba 4.1 and beyond, we should focus our energies on a single build
> > > system, and making it better, rather than continuing to build this large
> > > and complex code base with two independent build systems that we have to
> > > keep in sync.
> > >
> > > The autoconf build system has supported us for a long time, but just as
> > > it is time that we retire SWAT, Samba 4.1 is the appropriate time to
> > > retire autoconf, and move to a single way to build a unified Samba
> > > project.
> >
> > +1 from me. Continuing to maintain both build systems is a heavy and
> > unnecessary burden.
>
> Please hold back the patch until the issues I raised are
> addressed. I am certainly willing to hack things up, but the
> points are raised are really important to me.

Volker,

I appreciate your willingness to work on a solution for your concerns
here, as I think you understand your specific needs best.  I'm always
happy to advise, and it will be really good to move this from the
general to the specific as we discuss what exact patches we could apply
to improve your situation.

Thanks,