Fw: [PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat May 25 09:11:22 MDT 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:24:21AM -0400, yaberger at ca.ibm.com wrote:
> If we go back to what triggered the discussion between Python 2 vs Python
> 3
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3
> "Python 2.x is the status quo, The final 2.x version 2.7 release is out,
> with a statement of extended support for this end-of-life release. "
>
> Maybe you should ask the Python community when they expect to end the
> extended support for Python 2.7.
See http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-May/099971.html
It looks like there will be support for 2.7 at least until Mid 2016.

> As for the Linux distributions, I expect they might decide to provide
> Python 3 instead Python 2 as their base Python package, but still provide
> Python 2.7 as an optional package until the Python community stop
> supporting it.
> If they don't, they're not helping themself to keep their user base.
Yeah, I would expect the same - it's the default strategy for this kind of
transition. Ubuntu has plans to make Python3 the only Python on the desktop CD
for 14.04. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python/3

Cheers,

Jelmer