SE_RESTORE_PRIVILEGE, BACKUP_INTENT and W2K08R2

Christian Ambach ambi at samba.org
Thu May 23 13:38:44 MDT 2013

Am 23.05.13 20:35, schrieb Richard Sharpe:

> However, I have a capture against Windows where this seems not to be
> the case. If the requester has SE_RESTORE_PRIVILEGE it seems that
> Windows will allow them to change the owner on a file to anything they
> want.
>
> Is this what people see as well?

My understanding is that this the "magic" thing about the SeRestore
Privilege: it allows backup applications to change ownerships of
restored files. When you do not have this privilege set, you can
only change the owner of a file to yourself (when the ACL allows
you to change the owner), but not give ownership to somebody else.

Cheers,
Christian