[PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Thu May 23 03:17:55 MDT 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:21:35AM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 05/22/2013 09:22 AM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >>Yes, I did try. But it did not work for me, so I did not
> >>pursue it further.
> >Yeah, me too and it broke the build. I keep meaning to
> >log a bug with Ian the developer (he works here) but
> >haven't gotten to that yet.
> How could it break the build for you and not for me ?
> >
> >I agree, being able to just compile one .o file corresponding
> >to a .c file I just changed is one of the things I wish I
> >could do easily with waf. Not a show-stopper for me though
> >as waf does have other benefits.
> The thing is that if you changed a .c then yes the associated .o
> needs to be rebuild but also the .so or the binary and also all the
> libs that link with it.
> I understand that basically the autoconf build was not so great at
> getting dependencies so you were getting fewer rebuilds because it
> thoughts that the file didn't need to be rebuild (but it was wrong)
> so we kind of trade speed for correctness.

Indeed. And my clear preference for me is to not have 100%
correctness if it will give me faster turnaround on
edit/build/run cycles. I always have the chance to rebuild
everything if things go wrong somehow. As I wrote in another
mail, I am willing to get confused once or twice a year
because the Makefile's missing dependencies broke my
binaries.

find .. -name \*.o | xargs rm

is typed quickly enough.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de