Debian samba4 package

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 22 20:40:50 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 19:22 -0700, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:
> Wow.  Is there any way to have the package not depend on a specific
> implementation of kerberos?  I'd prefer to stick to MIT kerberos.

A few points:

 - The samba4 package in debian currently is only the AD DC, and as the
AD DC requires (is built on) Heimdal Kerberos, it depends on the Heimdal
Kerberos package in Debian.

 - On other platforms we use our internal copy of Heimdal for the AD DC

 - If you build --with-system-mitkrb5 you won't get the AD DC.

 - For Samba 4.0 as a file server different distributions have taken
different compromises here.  Fedora/Red Hat packages won't include the
AD DC, because they want to use MIT Krb5, while the new Debian packages
I'm helping the Debian Samba Team work on will include the AD DC as well
as the file server, and so will use Heimdal from the system.

I hope this clarifies things,