[PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed May 22 10:22:12 MDT 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 04:07:48PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 06:59:04AM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> > >That does save linking of all non-involved libs and
> > >binaries, but it will still compile everything first. At
> > >least it did, when I last tried.
> > Have you tried the gold linker ? Micheal suggested me at XP and I
> > must confess that it makes things way more faster when linking.
> > For the moment wafbuild is only able to use the system linker but it
> > should be very hard to teach him how to use another linker for the
> > one who don't want to use it by default (the gold linker)
>
> Yes, I did try. But it did not work for me, so I did not
> pursue it further.

Yeah, me too and it broke the build. I keep meaning to
log a bug with Ian the developer (he works here) but
haven't gotten to that yet.

I agree, being able to just compile one .o file corresponding
to a .c file I just changed is one of the things I wish I
could do easily with waf. Not a show-stopper for me though
as waf does have other benefits.

Jeremy.