[PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue May 21 08:44:11 MDT 2013

On 2013-05-21 at 16:11 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > > Have you tried the gold linker ? Micheal suggested me at XP and I
> > > must confess that it makes things way more faster when linking.
> > > For the moment wafbuild is only able to use the system linker but it
> > > should be very hard to teach him how to use another linker for the
> > > one who don't want to use it by default (the gold linker)
> >
> > Yes, I did try. But it did not work for me, so I did not
> > pursue it further.

There were some problems in the past with the oder of some
arguments as provided by our waf system, where the gold linker
was stricter than the standard ld and stumbled. I fixed that
(9ba44cc610426fb558b49aa9680b5bdf55c29082) and afterwards the
gold linker has worked like a charm for me.

> Also, if I understand it correctly, the gold linker only
> would speed up the linking phase. It would not help with the
> problem that we have to compile everything before we even
> start linking, right?

Correct.

Cheers - Michael