[PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Tue May 21 03:38:08 MDT 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:31:20AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I agree that 4.1 would be a good opportunity to remove the
> support for the autoconf build, as I am personally confident
> enough with the waf build as the major build system.
>
> But I think before taking the step, we should verify
> the current state of the config results - the bug #8969
> you mentioned has not been updated in a long time.
>
> And maybe we can get some voices here of people using
> Samba file servers on various Unixes and of the distributors
> (of Linux, but also BSD flavours maybe).

Can we make it easier to compile just one binary, for
example smbtorture or so? I am right now messing with talloc
for example, and if I change talloc.h, it will recompile
almost everything before it even thinks about linking
smbstatus. Also, the startup time even on a beefy laptop is
several seconds before it even starts *something*. This
makes coding central components much more tedious than with
the autoconf build.

I know that from an ivory tower perspective changing
talloc.h requires rebuilding everything, but in my real
world I know what I'm doing and I don't need 100% precision.
What I need is quick turnaround with a possible fallback to
git clean -dxf.

Thanks,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de