Samba4 internal DNS problems - fresh start

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Tue May 21 01:17:08 MDT 2013

On 21/05/13 08:58, Mike Howard wrote:

Hi Mike,

> I'm currently having problems with Samba4's internal DNS. Originally, it
> was working, in that client's dhcp addresses were being updated. Then it
> seemed to stop.

There seems to be some issue with updating records that I didn't quite
identify yet. It only seems to bite us on updating records that already
exist, and basically happen in the middle of the process. So the old
record gets deleted ok, but no new record is added.
I suspect that's also what is causing your problem here.

> I did try managing it through Windows tools on an XP box but mostly
> things don't work that way ( ...... not supported on this .......) and
> maybe that screwed things so I've tried samba-tool which seems to work
> great but I still don't know why updates aren't happening.

An important thing to remember is that the internal DNS server and the
'dnsserver' RPC that both samba-tool and the DNS MMC talk to are two
completely separate identities, they're just backed by the same records
in the AD.

> Is there a easy way to delete all the internal dns stuff and reinstall
> it afresh? Obviously, I don't want to lose my domain data, users,
> computers, groups, gpo's etc?
> I did try going back to the bind9 backend, which worked, but I would
> like to get the internal backend working and suspect it's my
> installation at fault.

The Bind9 DLZ module and the internal server use the same data to do
their job. If one works and the other doesn't then your AD data is fine
and there's a bug in the DNS implementation.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin