SPN key kvno increasing once a week

David Mansfield samba at dm.cobite.com
Mon May 20 18:28:21 MDT 2013

On 05/20/2013 07:08 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 13:57 -0400, David Mansfield wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I have a number of samba3 and samba4 based winbind clients (centos 6 and
>> Fedora 18 respectively, BTW)  connecting to a compiled-by-hand samba4 DC
>> running on centos6. The exported keytab for an SPN we use for apache is
>> becoming invalid every week due to  a bump in the kvno for the SPN
>> "HTTP/myhost.domain.com".  This also affects the
>> "host/myhost.domain.com" SPN key and probably all of the SPN keys for
>> that host.  I can see from google that this is not a "new" problem, but
>> nowhere is there a note of the resolution.
>>
>> The winbind operation is unaffected (and is probably causing this
>> problem) - it's internal keytab must be getting refreshed (or it's not
>> using a keytab or something).
>>
>> I have not modified/set "kerberos method" in smb.conf from the defaults,
>> but I do have "winbind refresh tickets = true" on.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me:
>>
>> 1) why is kvno getting bumped every week, who is responsible (client or
>> server), can it be configured and/or disabled?
>>
>> 2) if I can't fix #1, can I force winbind to create multiple keytabs all
>> over my filesystem and be sure to chown and set selinux context for me?
>
> It might be best to allocate these services that you want to use a
> different keytab for their own principals.  If you are giving them
> different levels of privilege on your server, then they each need a
> different account, as otherwise one could compromise the other by
> creation of fake tickets (because they all know the secret key).

(BTW, all the SPN are added to the machine account where the service is
running, is that not normal procedure?)

Yes, that's what I have: the HTTP/myhost.domain.com goes in
/etc/httpd/conf/krb5.keytab (owned by apache), the imap/host.domain.com
goes in /etc/krb5.keytab.cyrus (owned by cyrus), the
smtp/myhost.domain.com goes in /etc/postfix/krb5.keytab (owned by
postfix).  And all of them become invalid the moment winbind changes the
machine password.

I've researched a bit more and discovered that #1 is definitely a
winbind client changing the password issue.  But I don't understand why
(not a kerb. guru) changing the password causes all the SPN keys
regenerated, but it's probably a standard thing.

So I'm left with either stopping winbind from changing the machine
password or figuring out a keytab distribution system...  Yuk.