Exposing additional private symbols to OpenChange

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun May 19 21:56:41 MDT 2013

Hi Julien,

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:07:41AM +0200, Julien Kerihuel wrote:
> During last SambaXP, we have noticed that building OpenChange when the
> gold linker was installed was causing the compilation to fail with
> undefined references:
>
> libmapi.so.2.0: error: undefined reference to 'nt_errstr'
> libmapi.so.2.0: error: undefined reference to 'lzxpress_compress'
> libmapi.so.2.0: error: undefined reference to 'lzxpress_decompress'
>
> The symbols above are located in private libraries:
>         - nt_errstr is located in liberrors (libcli/util)
>         - lzxpress_compress and lzxpress_decompress are located in libndr-samba (lib/compression)
>
> Shall we make these libraries public or merge them into another public library?
>
> We had additional linking issues but which we managed to fix with direct
> linkage to tevent-util library.
We already have plenty of public libraries, so rather than creating more I
we should really merge liberrors into something else (libsamba-util?). 99% of
samba relies on NTSTATUS as it does on libsamba-util one way or another anyway.

libndr-samba is fairly big by itself, so perhaps we should just make that
public. I'm not sure what we could merge it into, if we wanted to.

Cheers,

Jelmer