is there a howto for roaming profiles ?

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Sun May 19 07:17:54 MDT 2013

Hello,

I've been trying samba4 with roaming profiles for some time now.
I tried the manuals described here :
A) https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_management_from_windows
and the links it points to :
B) http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/08/best-practice-roaming-profiles-and-folder-redirection-a-k-a-user-virtualization/
and this one
C) https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Windows_Profiles#Implementing_Roaming_Profiles_with_Samba
also I made sure my filesystem was mounted the way it said in here for
ext3, i must admit i use ext4
D) https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4/OS_Requirements

But I still keep getting the 'logged on with temporary profile' error
when I log in with a regular user.

link A seems very simple but I must be doing something wrong

link B seems like a very good manual for windows but with samba it has
a couple users/groups that are not on samba and a couple users/groups
are on samba that are not in the howto, and i think it needs more
prroof reading because it seems to me it is missing a bit of text on a
few points.

link C seems to point to a howto that looks like a samba3 manual to me

link D well most seems to work, getfacl setfacl, resolving of domain
users works with getent passwd, but groups don't resolve.

To get to the point, its all a bit fuzzy on what is required and
what's not, which manual is the right one.
Or if neither is, could you tell me what is the right one ?

Which manual is right about the smb.conf entries link a or link c ?

What file system permissions are needed for linux, and what are the
required mount options ?
This is a detail that is ignored in ALL the manuals for profiles, they
must be bloody obvious to everybody but me.
Even if they are simply root:root 755, please say so, it excludes so
many other options.
Same goes for the mount options for the filesystem.

Regards
Rob