Documentation build with waf

Luk Claes luk at debian.org
Sat May 18 02:30:35 MDT 2013

Hi Andrew

On 05/17/2013 11:56 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 15:19 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> I'm curious, what made you want to build just the documentation?  (that
> said, I think metze got you some patches for that)

If one changes the documentation it's easier to test them when one is
able to regenerate just the documentation than to start a build of
everything.

>> This would require new documentation targets in the waf build if I'm not
>> mistaken? It would also mean that not only manpages, but also html would
>> be created in the waf build. How can one do that?
>
> We didn't add an waf build for the non-manpage documentation because
> this is no longer in a releasable state.  Indeed, we almost decided to
> drop it entirely!

Is there a reason the html is still in the release in that case?

>> Another thing that would make maintaining the documentation easier is
>> not having to specify each individual manpage (or html) in the wscript
>> file. Is that possible?

Did you skip this question by mistake?

>> A last request would be that one could require the build to fail when
>> the documentation is not build instead of silently not building the
>> documentation as now is the case. How can one reach that goal? Maybe
>> that's trivial when using separate targets?
>
> The issue is that this would require xlstproc and docbook-xsl on all
> hosts building from source, as the waf build doesn't use pre-built
> documentation in the tarballs.  Pre-built stuff doesn't work well with
> waf, as a general rule, but we can probably hack the install stage to at
> least install the manpages from docs/ in the tarball.

What's wrong with requiring xsltproc and docbook-xsl on a build host?

Cheers

Luk