[Release Planning 4.1] Samba 4.1.0 scheduled for September 11

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 17 16:22:32 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 10:14 -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 05/17/2013 06:41 AM, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > sticking to our 9 month release cycle means, Samba 4.1.0 is scheduled for
> > September 11 2013.
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Release_Planning_for_Samba_4.1
> >
> > That said, we need to start with the release candidates pretty soon.
> > I would like to propose to ship Samba 4.1.0rc1 on June 11. The other RCs
> > (if needed) would be "scheduled" for July 11 (RC2) and August 9 (RC3).
> > If we would need more RCs, we could tighten the RCs in the end.
> >
> > Are there any objections?
> No I like the idea as I said at XP.
>
> The changes won't be massive but still there is some stuff to put in.

While I would have loved to see massive new features, the blunt reality
is that we don't have any yet, but do have a lot of little fixes, and I
hope a much more robust DRS replication engine between the work both of
us are doing in this area.

I think sticking to a schedule is good, and we could be waiting a long
time for big new features, given that I'm not aware of any on the
horizon and they would need time to bake anyway.

We can however use it as a release to clean house:  That is to remove
features like SWAT, and one other that I'll make another proposal for in
a separate mail.

Thanks,