Documentation build with waf

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 17 15:56:44 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 15:19 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Hi
>
> Currently one can build the documentation the autoconf way and at least
> the manpages with waf (but only when building regular source too). It
> would probably be better if it were possible to use the waf build to
> generate the documentation that's needed (like defined in
> release-scripts) without the need to build anything else.

I'm curious, what made you want to build just the documentation?  (that
said, I think metze got you some patches for that)

> This would require new documentation targets in the waf build if I'm not
> mistaken? It would also mean that not only manpages, but also html would
> be created in the waf build. How can one do that?

We didn't add an waf build for the non-manpage documentation because
this is no longer in a releasable state.  Indeed, we almost decided to
drop it entirely!

> Another thing that would make maintaining the documentation easier is
> not having to specify each individual manpage (or html) in the wscript
> file. Is that possible?
>
> A last request would be that one could require the build to fail when
> the documentation is not build instead of silently not building the
> documentation as now is the case. How can one reach that goal? Maybe
> that's trivial when using separate targets?

The issue is that this would require xlstproc and docbook-xsl on all
hosts building from source, as the waf build doesn't use pre-built
documentation in the tarballs.  Pre-built stuff doesn't work well with
waf, as a general rule, but we can probably hack the install stage to at
least install the manpages from docs/ in the tarball.