Samba 4 backup

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Thu May 16 03:51:27 MDT 2013

Hello Bogdan,

Am 15.05.2013 18:18, schrieb Bogdan Bartos:
> Sone .so files. I don't know unless I look and I have no
> access to the vm right now. It's at home. I am thinking the
> restore should be just to plunk all the files in and done, but I
> think the files are a result of the compiled samba, so it's
> dependent on the way you build it. If you build it wrong, or
> miss some packages, the result will not be the same on restore.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.

I took a look at the backup script that is shipped with samba (I run a
modified version, that does some things a bit different). You are right.
The lib/private directory with *.so files is included in the backup.

If you restore, you can exclude this directory or ensure, that you
compiled with the same options. And if you have to recover, always do it
on the same version, you made the backup. Never recover and update at once.

Regards,
Marc