samba4 + kerberos + pam

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue May 14 08:43:59 MDT 2013

Hi David,

> thanks for your response. As far as I understand the difference between your setup and mine is that you use sama3 as a client whilst I use samba4 as well on the client.
> The reason is that I want users to be able to log in in the AD server (which is running samba4) and have their kerberos ticket set up.

you don't need samba4 on the client for AD authentication. Samba 3 will
do it properly and it is much better documented. I think you should try it.

I published a small step by step documentation for a debian wheezy
system at
http://dev.tranquil.it/index.php/SAMBA_-_Int%C3%A9gration_Samba_membre_de_domaine

It is in French, but it should be fairly easy to understand. I just
tried it step by step on a fresh wheezy install and I got my ticket
after login:

dcardon at wheezy:~$ klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_20005
Default principal: dcardon at TRANQUILIT.LOCAL

Valid starting    Expires           Service principal
14/05/2013 16:40  15/05/2013 02:40  krbtgt/TRANQUILIT.LOCAL at TRANQUILIT.LOCAL
	renew until 21/05/2013 16:40
14/05/2013 16:40  15/05/2013 02:40  WHEEZY$@TRANQUILIT.LOCAL
	renew until 21/05/2013 16:40

I have the "pam_winbind.so use_first_pass krb5_auth
krb5_ccache_type=FILE" line both in auth and session. I don't know if it
necessary, but it works.

Cheers,

Denis