Fedora 18/19/... AD DC?

bogdan_bartos admin at blackpenguin.org
Mon May 13 14:10:06 MDT 2013

I removed the samba4 packages from a newly installed system and also the krb5
package. Then a lot of other stuff stopped working including the SSH daemon
that crashed the party. Luckily it was a test VM, not a production system.
With the current status on Fedora and with the samba-tool removal and other
things floating in the void, I cannot use samba 4 as a production system.
Like I mentioned before, it was working on Fedora 17 and I suppose this was
because of the extra samba 4 libraries that did not exist on the fedora 17
system.

I will wait to test this on fedora 19, but by the way it sounds, there's
some time involved in the process of porting it to fedora - whatever that
takes. With all the effort and merit that goes to the samba 4 team, I still
do not understand why some distros go heimidal and other go MIT kerberos.
And I also do not understand how the future will look on these distros in
the future. Especially on Fedora. Maybe you can shed some light over the
subject. I read why this is not possible on Fedora and I also read the
work-arounds. But still it's not a full explanation on the evolution of the
issue over time.

Instead of work-arounds, wouldn't it be easy to implement the samba4
kerberos as heimidal from scratch on fedora? With the price of holding back
the libraries a few months or a few release milestones...?