Can we increase the timeout for cached entries in winbind?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue May 7 17:42:06 MDT 2013

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 04:22:21PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We have a situation where someone has joined a Samba member server
> (3.6.6) in India to a DC in Texas, USA.
>
> It takes a long time to query the list of users, and some of the
> domains are not visible either.
>
> Does anyone know if we can cache results in winbind for longer?

smb.conf man page:

       winbind cache time (G)

           This parameter specifies the number of seconds the winbindd(8) daemon will cache user and group information before querying a Windows NT server again.

           This does not apply to authentication requests, these are always evaluated in real time unless the winbind offline logon option has been enabled.

           Default: winbind cache time = 300