SUCCESSfull setup

Lazar Krumov lkrumov at gis-sofia.bg
Mon Mar 25 16:37:37 MDT 2013

Hi Zahari,

I'm glad to see local supporters of SAMBA :)

Speaking generally:
I do 'apt-get install ... ' on Debian. The 'breeze' (download/compile/install/config) is the other option of use softwares.
Advantages, which I use by doing 'apt-get' are:
- intensively testet by DEBIAN within this bunch of software/libraries. This gives me beter assurance in bugs-free environment. According my experience DEBIAN is quite BUG-FREE combination of software/libs
- satisfy dependencies with already tested versions of dependent packages. Also the combination of dependencies with the software intself are tested, I believe.

Disadvantage of the above method, prefered by me, is the "out-of-date" versions of most of the software. But it's understandable: Testing of the software takes reasonable amount of time in most of the cases. Even more: As much tests are performed as much the spent time is. The result of such delay in versions is stability, which is the most important in PROD! Sometimes this also prevent from hassles .

Currently I have some problems with "M$ master browsing" within the AD-Domain. Most probably this is clarified in recent versions of SAMBA4. So maybe I'm going into the 'breeze' method ...

Cheers,
Lazar Krumov
GIS Sofia
IT Consultant