Samba4 Linux user has two uid's

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Mon Mar 25 13:18:54 MDT 2013

On 25/03/13 18:59, Thomas Simmons wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Rowland Penny <repenny at f2s.com
> <mailto:repenny at f2s.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 21/03/13 20:01, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>         HI,
>         If You join a S3 client to a S4 domain you get a different uid
>         on the client and server i.e.
>
>         Info from the client
>         $ id user
>         uid=21105(user) gid=20513(domain_users)
>         groups=20513(domain_users),1101(BUILTIN\users)
>

>         Info from the server
>         # id user
>         uid=3000016(DOMAIN\user) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
>
>         Now if you mount a share onto the client from the server via
>         pam_script:
>
>         mount -t cifs //server/dropbox /home/dropbox -o
>         username=user,cruid=userid,sec=krb5i,multiuser,nobrl,mapchars,mfsymlinks,noserverino
>

>         If a file is now created in the share by the user, the user
>         immediately looses all rights to it from the client.
>
>         Is this a CIFS problem or a Samba4 problem?
>

>     OK, I am now coming round to think that there is something wrong
>     with Samba 3.6.X after 3.6.3.
>     Reasons?
>     I cannot get it show domain users or groups on Samba 3.6.6 running
>     on Mint 14, the smb.conf is identical to the one I used on 3.6.3
>     running on Ubuntu 12.04 which works.
>
>     I then spent some time downloading and compiling various versions,
>     all which failed in the same way.
>
>     As I wasn't sure if it was the way that I was compiling samba or
>     not, I have installed Opensuse 12.3 and again set up samba with
>     the same smb.conf. Opensuse uses version 3.6.12. It fails in
>     exactly the same way i.e. getent will not return domain users,
>     only local users.
>
>     So, unless anybody is prepared to come forward and announce that
>     they are using a version later than 3.6.3, I must suggest that
>     something in samba is broken.
>
> Hello Rowland,
> I don't know if you missed my reply above, but I stated (link below)
> that I had this working on 3.6.10, compiled from source, in the thread
> I linked to. Apart from --with-ads and --with-shared-modules=idmap_ad,
> I don't know what other options I used. I spent the better part of a
> weekend trying to figure out my original problem (specific to the
> domain controller itself) which turned out to be a bug. I'll set up a
> test VM later today and try to duplicate what I did then. I can't
> imagine such critical functionality would have been broken since 3.6.3
> and not have been noticed before now. Have you increased logging
> verbosity and checked your logs for anything? That's how I discovered
> the idmap_ad problem.
>
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2012-December/170552.html
>

>     Rowland
>
>     --
>     This message has been scanned for viruses and
>     dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>     believed to be clean.
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

Yes, sorry I had missed the version you used, but it would appear that I
used the same configure line as you. Could you please confirm what
dependencies you installed prior to compiling and on what distro you
compiled it on.

The only thing I can think of doing now is to compile 3.6.10 on 12.04,
then if it works, compile it on mint 14 exactly the same way and hope it
works.

Rowland

believed to be clean.