Samba4 Linux user has two uid's

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Mon Mar 25 12:30:14 MDT 2013

On 21/03/13 20:01, Rowland Penny wrote:
> HI,
> If You join a S3 client to a S4 domain you get a different uid on the
> client and server i.e.
>
> Info from the client
> $ id user
> uid=21105(user) gid=20513(domain_users)
> groups=20513(domain_users),1101(BUILTIN\users)
>
> Info from the server
> # id user
> uid=3000016(DOMAIN\user) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
>
> Now if you mount a share onto the client from the server via pam_script:
>
> mount -t cifs //server/dropbox /home/dropbox -o
> username=user,cruid=userid,sec=krb5i,multiuser,nobrl,mapchars,mfsymlinks,noserverino
>

> If a file is now created in the share by the user, the user
> immediately looses all rights to it from the client.
>
> Is this a CIFS problem or a Samba4 problem?

OK, I am now coming round to think that there is something wrong with
Samba 3.6.X after 3.6.3.
Reasons?
I cannot get it show domain users or groups on Samba 3.6.6 running on
Mint 14, the smb.conf is identical to the one I used on 3.6.3 running on
Ubuntu 12.04 which works.

I then spent some time downloading and compiling various versions, all
which failed in the same way.

As I wasn't sure if it was the way that I was compiling samba or not, I
have installed Opensuse 12.3 and again set up samba with the same
smb.conf. Opensuse uses version 3.6.12. It fails in exactly the same way
i.e. getent will not return domain users, only local users.

So, unless anybody is prepared to come forward and announce that they
are using a version later than 3.6.3, I must suggest that something in
samba is broken.

Rowland

believed to be clean.