LDB integration with other services

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 22 17:28:54 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 19:20 +0200, Andriy Melnyk wrote:
> Hi!
> We are implementing system that will be used for educational purposes. It
> consists of: Samba4 as AD DC and fileshare; dhcpd; moodle; postfix; RADIUS and
> some other services.
> We want to use common user database as authentication backend for all of these
> services. So we see two possible solutions:
> 1. Use LDB as authentication backend and configure all services to work with
> it. So we need to extend LDB' schema, can you give some advice about possibile
> solutions? Which services are supported by LDB and is this support permanent
> or not?
> 2. Use LDB as authentication backend only for Samba4 and LDAP as
> authentication backend with another services. In this case we'll need to
> organize merging users from LDAP to LDB. Are there some solutions for
> synchronization?
>
> Which of those is better?
>
> Is there any web interface for working with LDB's database? (for adding users,
> editing user information)

Users have connected various LDAP editors to Samba 4.0's AD DC.  In
general, the integration with other services is just the same as for any
other Active Directory implementation.

I know that in particular, there is a standard way to get RADIUS to use
AD, using ntlm_auth and winbindd on a member server.