The guts of stat cache.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Mar 19 15:20:51 MDT 2013

Folks,

I'm looking into a corner case problem, and I need to know more about the
workings of the stat cache.

The problem has to do with small file creates.  Seems that whenever a file
is created (particularly if the create needs to fail if the file exists), we
have to do some work going through the possible case permutations of the
given filename.

Stat cache is supposed to help with that, but I am seeing lots of calls to
the Samba VFS stat function, asking for info on the same name.

Is the stat cache above or below the VFS layer?

What does the stat cache do to speed up case-insensitive name matching?

Thanks.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org