about ctdb data replication

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:01:38 MDT 2013

No CTDB does not need any shared storage at all.

However,
Often you will need a tiny shared storage filesystem so that you can
put a 'recovery lock file' on it.
This file is 0 bytes in size  but is used to prevent split brain if
the cluster becomes partitioned.
Unless your filesystem support coherent fcntl() locking, i.e. unless
you use GPFS,   you probably have to disable that
by setting the reclock file to "".

As far as i know,  only GPFS has correct clusterwide fcntl() locking.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

It would be nice to change this to instead use Persistent Reservations
on a dedicated SCSI devices for this.
I think in all places where CTDB+Samba goes  it should be quite easy
to find a dedicated LUN that could be sued for that.

regards
ronnie sahlberg