FSRVP samba configuration problems

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Mon Mar 11 07:30:50 MDT 2013

Hi Dennis,

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:35:56 +0800
Teng-Feng Yang <shinrairis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> I try to grant my user SeBackupPrivilege as you recommend, and
> everything works like a charm. :)

Glad to hear.

> Since I have a server running Windows Server 2012 at hand, I also try
> to use the diskshadow utility to take a remote snapshot with FSRVP
> server on linux.
> I create mirror accounts and passwords on both windows client and FSRVP server.
> When I enter "add volume \\<IP Address of FSRVP Server>\<share name>",
> it keeps telling me that this share does not support shadow copy.
> I check the full debug log of samba and fssd, turns out the fssd has
> never received any request.
> Should I put both the client and the server in the same AD domain to
> make this works?

Indeed, Windows FSRVP clients require Kerberos authentication, so AD
domain membership is needed. That said, the prototype Samba asynchronous
RPC server implementation introduces a bug in the winbindd_dual_ndrcmd
code path, which causes a panic on AD user lookup. I don't yet have a
suitable fix for this issue.

> Also, is there any time schedule for this great feature to be
> officially released?
> Thanks for your patience.

IMO there are still a few things blocking upstream inclusion, aside
from the aforementioned bug:
1. FSRVP server state machine timeouts (started)
2. Automated FSRVP testing as part of selftest (started)
3. Thorough testing of the asynchronous RPC server changes
4. Code review

I plan to address points (1), (2) and the async RPC server bug in time
for SambaXP in May.

Cheers, David