samba-tool and DNS queries

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 04:47:01 MST 2013

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:41 AM, Mark Pilant <lpilant at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Thanks to some helpful folks on this list, I was able to get the proper
> command to dump out the internal DNS information kept by Samba 4.
>
> One thing I note in the output is while the "main" entries are all listed,
> none of the children are.  Is there a way to do this?  Or, is it possible
> to "look at" a particular file to get the information?  (If, which file
> would I need.)
> I looked at the samba-tool help and wasn't able to find an answer.

samba-tool dns query sort of mimics the windows DNS management tool
behaviour. It returns the top level entries, and if there are sub-entries
then returns the number of children (sub-entries) for the top level
entries.

> BTW, the command I'm using is:
>
>         samba-tool dns query localhost yourdomain.lan @ ALL

To drill down a specific DNS sub-tree you can query that entry and it would
give more information about sub-entries.

For example:  if foobar is the entry with sub-entries, then you can query
foobar for further details:

    samba-tool dns query localhost yourdomain.lan foobar ALL

Thanks in advance.

> - Mark

Amitay.