Removing the DNS entry for a member server when leaving a domain ...

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 14:15:17 MST 2013

Hi folks,

I have been asked to make the net ads leave command remove the DDNS
entry it adds when we join a domain.

As an aside, I see that Microsoft, at least with Win7 does not seem to
use RFC compliant RRs when deleting records. It uses CLASS: NONE when
the RFC says to use CLASS: ANY.

In any event, it would seem that I can reuse the existing
infrastructure passing an extra parameter to net_update_dns,
DoDNSUpdate and friends to indicate that an Add or Delete is required.
It seems that we should delete the DNS record before we delete the
machine account in net_ads_leave as well.

Any comments?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe