EXPERIMENTAL: tevent_kqueue support

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Mar 1 12:25:39 MST 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 08:13:31PM +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> tevent_common_add_timer() and noticed much later that
> source3/lib/events.c also uses it but without calling
> tevent_common_loop_timer_delay(). Because of this
> ev->last_zero_timer wasn't updated after running a timer event.
>
> Because released versions of Samba (4.0.0 - 4.0.3) could end up
> building against a system libtevent, but source3/lib/events.c
> used lib/tevent/tevent_internal.h, it's not possible to
> add this new behavior to tevent_common_add_timer(),
> that's why I added tevent_common_add_timer_v2() for usage
> in the select, poll and epoll backends. I also added
> last_zero_timer as the last element of struct tevent_context
> in order to avoid problems, when source3/lib/events.c may
> use the wrong definition of struct tevent_context.
>
> The final goal should be to avoid source3/lib/events.c,
> the remaining blocker is nmbd. I started some patches
> to convert more nmbd code to tevent, but it needs more work.
> The patches are in this branch.
> https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-tevent2

+1 on that. I'd like to remove source3/lib/events.c also.

> The patches which just need review are under
> https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master3-tevent2
> I'm currently do autobuilds to see if it is stable now.
> Also with the following hacks on top:
> (without epoll)
> https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=commitdiff;h=a0f5077d0f28be42b97421cdea1219aee08aac71
> (without poll fallback)
> https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=commitdiff;h=7a74e6f9bffab04a24a90a2dc2e5d84a8960827a
> (and with random fallback)
> https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=commitdiff;h=6dc95cd2d4ea5a10566e8ea43d6aa9ac46b1590f
>
> Similar patches already passed autobuilds in all 4 combinations.
>
> I've now reviewed the master3-tevent branch
> (commit 83ce1f9d9504156ea1b8e2a4f5655a48b5bcd1f1),
> please review and push.

So just to confirm. The branch you want review and push on to master
is this one:

https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master3-tevent2

Is that correct (you're not 100% clear in the text above I'm afraid) ?

Jeremy.