GSOC report 1: Improvements in smbclient backup mode

Aurélien Aptel aurelien.aptel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 12:24:09 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been working on my project for almost a week now. I write at the
end of each day what I've been doing on a journal which you can find
here [1]. I also try to write a weekly report in which I summarize
(you guessed it) the work of the week.

For this week:

- checked-out the samba repo and successfully configured and
  compiled the project.

- read and familiarized myself with the main file behind the tar
  feature (clitar.c).

- setup a samba testing server along with a virtual windows machine

- understood and manually tested the various switch and modes you can
  use: the incremental mode, archive bit reset, backup of file newer
  than <FILE>, etc.

- started to work on a new test script for the tar feature

I've mainly focused on the test script these last few days. It now
does all the things the old script did and more. You can find it on my
public repo [2].

Again for more details, example of output, etc you can check my journal [1].

1: http://diobla.info/doc/gsoc13/journal
2: https://bitbucket.org/knarf/samba/commits/all