Setup wintest suite for samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 23 16:37:01 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 13:24 +0200, Rubén Durán wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are trying to setup the Wintest test suite in order to do some automated tests of
> our integration of samba 4.
>
> We are using the Wiki page [1] as an starting point to configure and deploy the
> environment and, although we found some deprecated information we already fixed. I
> think it is a really good starting point.
>
> Still, we have stump upon some problems to make this tests work correcly:
>
> 1) The VM IP address was not correctly identified by resolve_ip() method because
> 'bin/nmblookup' returns a line the parser did not expect (or at least that is what I
> thought):
>
> $ bin/nmblookup Windows7
> added interface eth0:0 ip=192.168.123.3 bcast=192.168.123.255
> netmask=255.255.255.0
> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.123.101 ( 192.168.123.101 )
> 192.168.123.101 Windows7<00>
>
> So I made the parser use the IP between the parentheses. After that, the IP was
> correcly identified and the tests where able to continue. If you tell be this is the
> correct thing to do, I'll probably submit a small patch so that this gets fixed for
> everyone.

I think we should just ignore the line starting with 'Got'.

> 2) In the tests for Windows XP and Windows 7, everything works correctly until the
> following command is run:
>
> C:\Users\user>Checking the windows join is OK
> $ nc -v -z -w 1 192.168.123.101 139
> Connection to 192.168.123.101 139 port [tcp/netbios-ssn] succeeded!
> $ bin/smbclient4 -L Windows7.s4.howto.abartlet.net -
> Uadministrator at s4.howto.abartlet.net%p at ssw0rd
> Failed to connect to ncacn_np:Windows7.s4.howto.abartlet.net -
> NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
> REWRITE: list servers not implemented
>
> It keeps failing until the retries get to 0 and the test finish with a failure. We've tried
> to debug this but we are not really sure what to look for and the most annoying thing
> is that this seems to work at some random times.

This means windows did not register correctly with the DNS server.  A
wireshark trace might provide some insight.

> 3) As for W2K8R2A, the test fail with the following command once the VM has been
> configured:
>
> $ sbin/samba_dnsupdate --fail-immediately
> tkey query failed: GSSAPI error: Major = Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may
> provide more information, Minor = Connection timed out.
>
> Also, I'm not sure if this is related but there is no dns.keytab file in the samba prefix
> private dir but bind gets configured to use it.

That's odd, by default wintest is using the internal DNS server, so this
shouldn't matter, but I see you are using the DLZ backend.  Can you try
with the default internal server to get a comparison?

It might simply be that wintest doesn't actually pass down the
configuration to the provision command?

In any case, again a wireshark trace would probably indicate the same as
the previous error, that is point to whatever is not answering the
registration packets.

Look for firewalls and processes like dnsmasq that might hog port 53 on
the extra interfaces. (A fix for this dnsmasq behaviour is in current
versions, but might not be in your distribution)

> We would really appreciate any hint you could give us and please, ask for more info in
> case what I'm providing here is not enough.
>
> The version we are using to run this tests is: 4.1.0pre1-GIT-5c4772e
> And we are running the tests with the following command: --skip
> dcpromo_rodc,join_rodc --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
>
> Regards
>
> [1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/WinTest

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  WinTest is a difficult
beast to tame, but a very powerful tool when finally working.  I'm sure
we can get it going, it might just take a little time.