Setup wintest suite for samba 4

Rubén Durán rduran at zentyal.com
Wed Jun 19 05:24:24 MDT 2013

Hello,

we are trying to setup the Wintest test suite in order to do some automated tests of
our integration of samba 4.

We are using the Wiki page [1] as an starting point to configure and deploy the
environment and, although we found some deprecated information we already fixed. I
think it is a really good starting point.

Still, we have stump upon some problems to make this tests work correcly:

1) The VM IP address was not correctly identified by resolve_ip() method because
'bin/nmblookup' returns a line the parser did not expect (or at least that is what I
thought):

$ bin/nmblookup Windows7
added interface eth0:0 ip=192.168.123.3 bcast=192.168.123.255
netmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.123.101 ( 192.168.123.101 )
192.168.123.101 Windows7<00>

So I made the parser use the IP between the parentheses. After that, the IP was
correcly identified and the tests where able to continue. If you tell be this is the
correct thing to do, I'll probably submit a small patch so that this gets fixed for
everyone.

2) In the tests for Windows XP and Windows 7, everything works correctly until the
following command is run:

C:\Users\user>Checking the windows join is OK
$ nc -v -z -w 1 192.168.123.101 139
Connection to 192.168.123.101 139 port [tcp/netbios-ssn] succeeded!
$ bin/smbclient4 -L Windows7.s4.howto.abartlet.net -
Uadministrator at s4.howto.abartlet.net%p at ssw0rd
Failed to connect to ncacn_np:Windows7.s4.howto.abartlet.net -
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
REWRITE: list servers not implemented

It keeps failing until the retries get to 0 and the test finish with a failure. We've tried
to debug this but we are not really sure what to look for and the most annoying thing
is that this seems to work at some random times.

3) As for W2K8R2A, the test fail with the following command once the VM has been
configured:

$ sbin/samba_dnsupdate --fail-immediately
tkey query failed: GSSAPI error: Major = Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may
provide more information, Minor = Connection timed out.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related but there is no dns.keytab file in the samba prefix
private dir but bind gets configured to use it.

We would really appreciate any hint you could give us and please, ask for more info in
case what I'm providing here is not enough.

The version we are using to run this tests is: 4.1.0pre1-GIT-5c4772e
And we are running the tests with the following command: --skip
dcpromo_rodc,join_rodc --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ

Regards

[1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/WinTest

--
Rubén Durán - Developer