OS X 10.9 Maverick

George K Colley gcolley at apple.com
Tue Jun 18 16:41:25 MDT 2013

On Jun 18, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 04:30:59PM +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Apple is moving to SMB2 as the default filesharing
>> protocol in it's next OS X incarnation 10.9 Maverick:
>
> A VERY interesting question will be whether it will be able
> to issue parallel requests. I very regularly earn a lot of
> money by telling people that Samba can not do much about
> OS/X doing what we used to call rabbit-pellet mode, i.e.
> sending sequential, very small requests. If that is still
> the default for their SMB2 implementation, I think people
> should better stick with AFP.

In most case small IO was caused by upper level making sync reads and writes with small IO. With SMB 2 we handle large IO and multiple message being sent. Now if the call application (Excel) sends lots of little IO in sync mode then there is not much we can do about that issue.

In our testing, SMB 2 is either matching or out performing AFP.

George