OS X 10.9 Maverick

Ralph Böhme rb at netafp.com
Tue Jun 18 08:30:59 MDT 2013

Hi everybody,

Apple is moving to SMB2 as the default filesharing protocol in it's next OS X incarnation 10.9 Maverick:
<http://www.afp548.com/2013/06/11/smb2-and-you-saying-goodbye-to-afp-in-os-x-mavericks/>

Network traces reveal interesting stuff:
* is searching remote SMB2 volumes supported (aka Spotlight) ? Hint: the AFP network command is called FPSpotlight*RPC*
* in which format is OS X specific stuff (FinderInfo, Ressource Fork) sent across the wire ?

Anybody else working on explicit support for OS X, 10.9 and below?

As a Netatalk developer and consultant I can tell you that I'm not THAT happy, but otoh this change offers interesting new challenges. :)

-Ralph

--
Ralph Böhme <rb at netafp.com>
Netatalk Developer | Support | Services