Samba and logoff event

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Sun Jun 16 16:12:47 MDT 2013

>  > You could use a logoff script to create a semaphore file on the server.
>
> This seems to be a good idea.
> Where should I create this semaphore? I'm just asking if there would be
> some security purposes lead to special places. I was thinking of the profile
> directory. On the other hand that would be more complicated to control this
> from the server side.

Anywhere you want, a place where users have write privileges

>  > You will need to use a local GPO as you probably don't use AD.
>  > Use Gpedit.msc to create a user logoff script on the client.
>  > The installation of Startup, Shutdown, Logon, Logoff scripts on clients can
> be automated without AD and GPO's  > I'm using an ISS package of my own
> for the purpose
> I'm a little bit confused. I'm not an administrator. I'm just doing this stuff
> pretty privat. I figured out what GPO and AD means. But google keeps telling
> me the international space station by searching for "ISS".
> So I'd appreciate if you could tell me what ISS means. I'll get/read the rest by
> myself.

ISS  Inno Setup Script.
I can make the package available if you are interested.

> And by the way: Am I really the the only one (feeled), who is asking for such
> an event? After logoff the Windows clients save all it's profile data back to
> the designated directory. And after that smbstatus doesn't show any
> connections either. I thought that would be enough condition for such an
> event. That's just my simple thinking ;-)

You could do without a special semaphore file.
Roaming create something useable NTUSER.DAT
This file is updated at every successful logoff
Checking its date will allow you to know if the profile was updated

Best regards!

Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                                    Fax:
(013) 139282
Linköping University                                 E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping