Samba and logoff event

Alex Winzer alex.e-mail at gmx.de
Sun Jun 16 14:46:16 MDT 2013

Thanks a lot.

On 16.06.13 14:17, Jean-Jacques Moulis wrote:>>> 1. Does samba have such
kind of event?
 >>> 2. If it has, how can I handle it / find some information about?
 >>> 3. If it doesn't, would it be possible to insert such kind of event
 >>> into future versions of samba?
 >>
 >> The client doesn't tell us about a desktop logoff, so that's why
this isn't easy
 >> to do.
 >
 > You could use a logoff script to create a semaphore file on the server.

This seems to be a good idea.
Where should I create this semaphore? I'm just asking if there would be
some security purposes lead to special places. I was thinking of the
profile directory. On the other hand that would be more complicated to
control this from the server side.

 > You will need to use a local GPO as you probably don't use AD.
 > Use Gpedit.msc to create a user logoff script on the client.
 > The installation of Startup, Shutdown, Logon, Logoff scripts on
clients can be automated without AD and GPO's
 > I'm using an ISS package of my own for the purpose

I'm a little bit confused. I'm not an administrator. I'm just doing this
stuff pretty privat. I figured out what GPO and AD means. But google
keeps telling me the international space station by searching for "ISS".
So I'd appreciate if you could tell me what ISS means. I'll get/read the
rest by myself.

And by the way: Am I really the the only one (feeled), who is asking for
such an event? After logoff the Windows clients save all it's profile
data back to the designated directory. And after that smbstatus doesn't
show any connections either. I thought that would be enough condition
for such an event. That's just my simple thinking ;-)

Thank you, Alex